Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Sultan Ahmet Camii (Blue Mosque) - Istanbul Day 2

How to describe my feeling when entering this mosque known because of the blue tiles surrounding the walls of interior design? I felt magic, magic of the Blue Mosque. My eyes were lifted heavenward inside, on the outside: the grandeur of Islamic architecture.

Sultan Ahmet Camii  - view from main entrance

It was just shortly before Maghrib prayer started when I got into this complex. Had not enough time to see the court and exterior in details. Who would want to miss prayer in this beautiful and historical mosque?


The interior is stunning with Blue Iznik tiles, chandeliers and lamps. Mihrab is made of finely carved marble. The entrance area which separates the men area from women area is where non-muslim visitors can see inside the mosque respectfully and quietly.

View from entrance area

Interior of Blue Mosque

More than 20,000 Iznik handmade ceramic tiles decorated Blue Mosque

Carpet covered Blue Mosque floors

Beautiful chandelier
After finished my prayer, a Syrian woman approached me and we had a little conversation. She talked in Arabic and me, in English  
I walked around admiring the interior and watching people. Then I met a lovely and kind young lady from Kazakhstan offered to take picture of me. She was the only person I met in Turkey who could directly tell that I'm from Indonesia!How did she know?She said because she has many friends from Indonesia and other muslim countries so she could differentiate. Good eyes.



It was already dark when I left the complex. Istanbul's only mosque that has 6 minarets showed its different perspective of beauty at night. Sitting near the fountain at the Sultan Ahmet square, I took a moment to enjoy the night view of two magnificent buildings, Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia.

Blue Mosque at night





No comments:

Post a Comment